Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day #9 (Eva)

My turn for a difficult day today. This week has brought a whole gamut of emotions. I’ve felt challenged, satisfied, frustrated, excited. Today I’m feeling doubtful about all kinds of things.

Continuing with Saturday’s cluster idea, we’re now shaping longer sequences that make compositional and conceptual sense. Frameworks from my score that at first seemed too wide to me are proving to be useful containers - ‘a time of unpacking, ‘a time of beauty’, ‘a time of domestic disintegration’, are holding a number of scenes and seem to create coherent entities. But I’m questioning whether, after years of working improvisationally, I’ll be able to remember patterns and counting, or reproduce movement material that, after numerous repetitions, begins to feel dull and lifeless. Lisa urges me on, reminding me of how movement that enters one’s muscles and bloodstream, becomes tuned to the nervous system and deeply embedded in the subconscious yields liveliness and lucidity. Vicky suggests we work on a more open section and we return to Lisa’s marathon, trying different versions, eventually altering it, and combining it with sitting/watching (as in the ‘charades’) and a round-robin form. Lisa adds her super articulated phrase that she does with Meg, we replace each other and dance wildly to energetic hip-hop music, and I feel the juice return to my body and spirit. Lovely how we hold each other’s uncertainties in check. Our generosity towards each other has been honed through parenting children and parents, navigating relationships, years of watching and thinking and working, experiencing the ups and downs of life. All this we bring with us into the studio.

Between us, we have lived 172 years. As Vick might say - Geez!!!!

No comments: